Sunday 11 December 2011

LAST LUNAR ECLIPSE FOR 2011 - A RARE TREAT


The last lunar eclipse for this year took place on Saturday December 10. Watched by millions of people around the world, it is said to be a spectacular sight in countries and places where it was clearly visible. The moon turned copper/ red during the total eclipse.  Being unwell, I couldn’t go outside to see this beautiful view. Wondering how the eclipse would have looked like in Kuwait.

A lunar eclipse occurs when the earth in course of its orbit around the sun, comes between the moon and sun in such a way that the moon is hidden in the shadow cast by the earth. This can occur only when the sun, earth and moon are aligned in a straight line.

Lunar eclipse above Buddha statue, Kurunegala, Srilanka. Photo by Eranga Jayawardena / AP.  


Shortly before total lunar eclipse as seen from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada. Image credit Colin Chatfield



3 comments:

Vasu said...

I hope you are doing better now Aunty, get well soon. I missed the lunar eclipse too :( All my friends went on a river cruise and saw the full lunar eclipse over Chao Praya river in Bangkok while I had to rush back to catch my flight to India I really dread having missed it.

KUWEIGHT64 said...

Thanks...Hope you had a great time in Thailand. congratulations for your award. The next 'partial' lunar eclipse will be on June 4, 2012.

Vasu said...

Thank you aunty :) Thailand was splendid! I was at BKK, it was such a lovely place. You must visit BKK you will love it. I hope to catch the next lunar eclipse but i dont know if it will be visible from India.