Friday 4 November 2016

SCULPTING WITH CLAY - A GREAT WORKSHOP BY KUWAIT ACADEMY OF ART

I enjoy working with sculpting clay and I've made small figurines on my own. It was my first time sculpting a life size portrait at the three hour workshop held by Kuwait Academy of Art, last Saturday. The participants had two choices - relief sculpture or portrait. My husband wanted to do relief sculpture. He made a lovely rabbit and a bird. I was so eager to do a portrait.  A bucket of sculpting clay was given to each of us portrait enthusiasts, and we got to work. We were asked to observe the size and shape of the face, head, forehead, nose, eyes, ears, lips and chin and shown on a diagram and how they should be positioned while sculpting. We were shown the intricacies on how to sculpt with our hands as well few sculpting tools, giving importance to the basic anatomy proportions. The whole three hours was an absolutely enriching experience. The joy of being able to create something beautiful from clay is engrossingly vibrant.

The sculpture workshop was conducted by Fajer Behbehani, who graduated with Masters in Fine Arts from University of the Arts London. 

If you are interested in sculpture, drawing and painting courses or workshops, you can contact Fajer at Kuwait Academy of Art. Visit their Instagram for updates. The links are given below. There are some great pictures on their instagram page of her work.

Contact : 66020283


Instagram : @kuwaitacademyofart

Website : www.kuwaitacademyofart.com

Email : kuwaitacademyofart@gmail.com

My husband's relief sculpture work in progress

My work on portrait sculpture in progress

Work in progress...
My portrait sculpture after completing


1 comment:

Michael said...

Good sculpture. I have been practicing my sculpting too.
Do you make molds as well? I have been researching what to look for regarding mold making supplies.