Tuesday 12 April 2011

OSTRICH EGGS


Ostrich eggs in Geant Hypermarket, 360 Mall

Was I in for a shock - the Ostrich egg I held must have weighed almost 2 kg!
I don't know how I would have missed display of Ostrich eggs that are seen in co-ops and hypermarkets in Kuwait. Last week when we were in Geant Hypermarket in 360 Mall, we were passing by the eggs section and my husband said, 'There, Ostrich Eggs'. The Ostrich eggs are glossy cream coloured and quite heavy. The one I held in the picture above, must have weighed almost 2 kg ! 

An Ostrich egg is believed to weigh 1.5 to 1.8 kg, around 20 to 23 times the weight of a chicken egg (equivalent to 2 dozen eggs or slightly more!). Ostrich eggs are high in polyunsaturated fat,  low in cholestrol and have a high iron content. One uncooked Ostrich egg contains about  2000 calories while a large chicken egg contains 72  to 80 calories. The eggs are incubated by the female Ostriches by day and by the males by night. The incubation period is 35 to 45 days

3 comments:

Ecletic Kuwaiti said...

Wow thats HUGE!!

KUWEIGHT64 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KUWEIGHT64 said...

Hi Ecletic! Yes, its quite huge. LOL!