|Bee Pollen (Sultan Center, Al Kout Mall)|
Bees carry pollen into their hive. Pollen is the male seed of the flowers. Worker bees pack the pollen into a brood cell with its head. Brood cells are chambers of wood and mud, created by female ground-nesting bees. The pollen is mixed with honey, enzymes, fungi and bacteria, organisms that transform the pollen into bee bread. The pollen is high in nutrition. Bee pollen or bee bread is the foremost source of protein for the hive. Its the food for the young bee. Bee pollen or bee bread contains nearly all nutrients required by humans so they are considered one of nature's completely nourishing foods. They are harvested by humans for consumption as nutritional supplement for better health.
Pollen is considered an energy and nutritive tonic in Chinese medicine. According to researchers at the Institute of Apiculture, Taranov, Russia, "Honeybee pollen is the richest source of vitamins found in Nature in a single food". Let's see what are the benefits of bee pollen.
* Improves endurance and vitality
* Extends longevity
* Aids recovery from chronic illnesses
* Reduces cravings and addictions
* Regulates digestion
* Aids in building new blood
* Has antibiotic properties and prevents infectious diseases such as the cold and flu
* Helps to overcome retardation and other developmental problems in children
* When bee pollen is given to anemic patients, their level of hemoglobin increases considerably
* Stimulates ovarian function and believed to overcome infertility
* Increases strength and stamina upto 25% - most athletes take bee pollen supplements
* Believed to clear asthmatic effects and sinus
* Bee pollen supposedly works wonders in a weight-control or weight-stabilization by correcting a possible chemical imbalance in body metabolism.
* Bee pollen stimulates the metabolic processes. It speeds caloric burn and is being recognized as Nature's weight-loss food.
* Is a low-calorie food. It contains only ninety calories per ounce (2 heaped tablespoons)
* It contains lecithin, a substance that helps dissolve and flush fat from the body.
* Helps eliminate cravings
* Improved skin
* It is thought to protect against radiation and to have anti-cancer qualities
How to introduce Bee Pollen in your diet
If you are a first time user, place one granule under your tongue and let it be absorbed by mucous membrane. This is to test for any allergic reactions. You should discontinue if you get any sort of allergic reactions like shortness of breath, hives, swelling, difficulty swallowing, runny nose, headache, itchiness, fever, rash, or anything else. This is because your body is being introduced to something new and your immune system needs time to adjust to it. If you don't experience any allergic reactions, gradually increase the number of granules; one granule on first two days, followed by two granules for next two days and so on . In a span of 2 weeks you can move on to 1 teaspoon and finally 1 tablespoon, couples of weeks later. Powder the granules and you can have it by adding it to your water or juice or sprinkling it on your food. Pregnant and breast feeding women should not have bee pollen. Personally I feel it shouldn't be given to children just in case they might get an allergic reaction. It is alright for adults to try it out, but please strictly adhere to the suggested method of use. Bee Pollen is available in Sultan Center (all outlets).