Research shows that food seem to affect the frequency and intensity of migraines. Some foods release certain chemicals that cause headaches. And when people who don't realize they are sensitive to these foods, continue to consume them, it gives them recurring migraines. Start keeping a headache diary. Each time you have a headache, write down what you ate before it started. Eliminate foods from your diet that have triggered headaches. Note changes in your headache pattern. Let's take a look at foods that cause migraines.
*A substance called tyramine in aged cheese cause headaches. Blue cheese, Swiss, cheddar, gouda, and parmesan are best avoided.
*Bananas usually considered healthy due to his rich potassium content, also contain tyramine found in aged cheese.
*Meat that is smoked or dried, fermented, salted, or pickled, such as pepperoni, liverwurst, pickled herring, sausage, and hot dogs.
*Coffee, tea, cola, and energy drinks contains caffeine cause headaches. Restrict to one cup of coffee, just in the morning, that too, only after breakfast. A little caffeine can get rid of headaches but too much can trigger a headache.
*It was reported that 22 per cent of people suffering from migraine claim chocolate as one of their headache triggers.
* Food additives such as MSG (in seasoned salt, meat tenderizers, and canned soups), sulfites (used to preserve dried fruit and wine), nitrites (a meat preservative), and aspartame (in diet drinks and sugarless gum) cause headaches.
* Alcohol such as red wine, sherry, vermouth, ale, and beer can trigger headaches. Sulfites used as preservatives in red wine are linked to migraine headaches.
* Nuts and seeds, including peanuts, peanut butter, sesame seeds, and pumpkin seeds.
* Leftover food items that are more than a day old.
* Skipping meals and high stress levels can also trigger migraines.
* Certain vegetables like snow peas, pickles, olives, sauerkraut, and fava beans.
* Fermented soy products such as soy sauce, teriyaki sauce and miso.
* Gluten found in wheat products. Gluten intolerance can trigger headaches.
* Oranges and avacados are trigger foods for some people. Sadly!