The botanical definition of a berry is a fleshy fruit produced from a single ovary. Berry is the most common type of fleshy fruit in which the entire ovary wall ripens into an edible pericarp. The seeds are usually embedded in the flesh of the ovary.
SOME FACTS ABOUT BERRIES
1. Interestingly Strawberries, raspberries and blackberries are not true berries. They are technically called aggregate fruits because of they way they are grown.
2. More interestingly, Tomato, Banana, Watermelon, Pumpkin, Currants and Grapes are berries! Surprised?
3. North America is the world's leading blueberry producer, accounting for nearly 90% of world production presently.
4. Berries are high in vitamins like A and C, Fiber and antioxidents which can prevent certian types of cancer. They are also very low in calories and sodium.
5. Orange and Lemon are 'modified berries!'
6. Berries include currant, gooseberry, blueberry, elderberry, and cranberry besides the berries I mentioned above in '2'.
7. Cranberry juice helps in the increase of good cholesterol in the body and the decrease of bad (LDL) cholesterol due to polyphenols in cranberry juice. It is also a brilliant source of Vitamin C. Cranberry juice contains calcium as well as substances which is believed to hinder the growth of bacteria responsible for causing dental plaque, periodontal diseases and cavities. Consuming cranberry juice is also believed to treat and prevent urinary tract infections in women. Ofcourse the benefits can be derived from fresh cranberry juice, not the processed ones.
|Red currants (Sultan Center, Salmiah)|
|Gooseberries all covered up (Sultan Centre, Salmiah)|
|When you move the leafy covering, the gooseberry looks so bright and cute|
|'Caesar' Cranberry juice (no colour, no presevatives) available in Sultan Center Salmiah|
|Wensleydale cheese with Cranberry available at Dean and Deluca, Avenues Mall, Ground floor, Phase II|
If you like cheese and you haven't had this, oh, this is a treat to have!