Friday 17 June 2011

SERENA WILLIAM'S MIRACULOUS COME BACK

Serena Williams after winning the Wimbledon July 2010
Health complications had kept 29 year old Serena Williams off the tennis court for almost a year, since winning Wimbledon on July 3, 2010. Shortly after that tournament, Williams injured her right foot by stepping on glass at a restaurant in Milan, Italy. Williams underwent two surgeries to correct the foot injury. She suffered a possible life threatening situation by Pulmonary embolism - multiple blood clots in her lung, which she said left her "literally on deathbed". She underwent an operation to remove the blood clot in March. After her surgery, in March, The Telegraph carried an article that reported Serena Williams battling depression. ''I definitely have not been happy,'' Williams had said. "Especially when I had that second (foot) surgery, I was definitely depressed. ''I cried all the time. I was miserable to be around.'' 

Serena Williams comeback June 14, Aegon International 2011, Eastbourne
After Serena Williams' miraculous recovery, she made a much awaited winning comeback to Tennis after almost a year out of action on Tuesday, June 14, beating Tsvetana Pironkovaas in the first round,  at the Aegon International 2011 tennis tournament at Eastbourne . During the second round on Wednesday June 15, Russia’s Vera Zonerava knocked out Serena Williams after a marathon encounter.  Serena's ranking from last year's World No. 1, is now No. 7. 

Serena said, “I am disappointed to be knocked out, I thought I would do better. But I’m pleased to come back and play two hours (Monday) and three hours today (Wednesday) is great. I am a bit sore but the foot feels okay". "You know, I haven't played in almost a year, so I'm a little sore. It's good I'm sore now, because hopefully next week I won't be as sore. "I could have won the match," she said. "I think that's just me not playing and not actually even holding a racquet for over eight months and then finally picking one up and being able to do that.  
 
In Serena Williams official website, Craig Gabriel writes, 'The winner of 13 Grand Slam titles is a perfectionist and she is never completely happy with her game because she always believes that she can do something better. That's the attitude which makes champions'.






No comments: