Normally when the moods are low, people tend to go for fast food, cakes, sweets, pastries, things that are fattening and then end up secretly feeling guilty and upset that they resorted to high calorie food. Well, do you know there are natural mood enchancing foods which will uplift your moods and make you happy, energetic, as well as shape your physical health.
Food improves mood in two ways
1. Influencing chemicals in the brain
2. By affecting the blood sugar level to increase the amount of energy
Mood enchancing foods:
*A healthy filling breakfast is a must (cereals, brown bread, fruits, fresh juice)
Healthy carbohydrates make the brain produce a hormone serotonin that contributes towards good mood and well being.
* Diary like milk, yoghurt decrease frustration and anxiety.
* Banana, avacados, strawberries contain typtophan which are mood enhancers. Typtophans generate serotonin, a hormone associated with happiness.
* Nuts, legumes, Sea food are rich in Omega 3 essential fatty acid. It supplies selenium, a mood enchancer which has antidepressant properties. Don't consume too many nuts as they are high in calories. 10 to 12 will suffice.
* Lean meats like chicken, turkey, a rich source of tyrosine - a mood enhancer, keep the mind focused and alert.
* Chocolate is a mood enchancer as it contains bromine and caffeine. The true health benfits lie in bitter dark chocolate. Weight watchers exercise restraint and don't eat too many of your favourite chocolates, as they contain high amount of sugar. A piece of dark chocolate would do sufficient good though. Check the cover for calories.
* Plain popcorn! Yes...Popcorn can be healthy and mood boosting when it is eaten plain without the butter or melted fat. Complex carbohydrates like plain popcorn flood the brain with tryptophan, when it is not saturated with fat or protein. Tryptophan is an amino acid which contributes to a happier mood and even blocks cravings for fatty foods.
* Lentils are great sources of vitamin B, which is paramount for the improvement of brain functions and nervous system. Lentils stabilize the blood sugar that keeps one in a good mood.
* Folic acids and vitamin B found in Spinach make it a real serotonin wizard, which enhances the mood.
Mood enhancing foods help keep you in a good mood and nothing can be a substitute for good healthy food that elevates hormones like serotonin, endorphins, and other neurotransmitters. So it is important to maintain a healthy regular diet.